FEAST-L Archives

November 2012

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Kathy Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathy Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2012 13:28:44 -0500
Hello,

I would suggest including ecofeminism in your course – it's an essential and often overlooked contribution to environmental ethics. I have been studying Ariel Salleh's work which offers a very thorough and stimulating materialist ecofeminist perspective. Her recent anthology is essential reading, though it is a bit difficult. It is reviewed here by Bonnie Kime Scott http://www.emsah.uq.edu.au/awsr/new_site/awbr_archive/149/scott.html who said she would use it in introductory women's studies. As is typical in these sorts of anthologies, the middle, more narrative, texts about specific places and experiences are more accessible than the theoretical introduction. Were I to use it, I would select specific chapters and help the students understand the introduction with lectures and close reading.

Students do like Vandana Shiva's work which tends to be more readable at introductory levels. They often report it as transformative of their thinking.

Good luck with your course!
Kathy Russell

- Dr. Kathryn Russell
Visiting Scholar, Program on Ethics and Public Life
Sage School of Philosophy
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY USA 14853

Professor of Philosophy