Re: Project Question - length of presentation

VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>

VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Nov 2012 18:20:31 -0500

One person's opinion:

I usually set a 5-minute timer on my watch, so I can stay alert to the
presentation length.  When it goes off, I assess whether the team is
likely to finish in the next 15-20 seconds, and then I will interrupt
and say,
"Thanks for your presentation.  That's all the time we have for it,
because we'd like to ask you some questions about your project."  Then
we start into the Q&A section.

Reading from a script is rarely as compelling for me as having the
team talk about what they did in their own words.  It doesn't always
give me confidence that they understood what they were learning about,
and it feels like it stifles creativity in presentation.  Also,
although I have seen some great presentations that covered all the
items in the rubric, the presentation doesn't have to be jam-packed
with information on each sub-item.  Some of that can be brought out
during Q&A.   (I should note, however, that having a couple of notes,
and/or props that prompt the team members to remember what they want
to include, is perfectly fine.)

Don't underestimate how well the team might be able to present their
parts by the day of the presentation either.  Often things come
together at the last minute, and turn out great!

Steve