FEAST-L Archives

June 2013

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Audrey Anton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Audrey Anton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2013 15:50:18 -0700
For what it's worth, I did attend the conference and I thought it was terrific! I think we need to remind ourselves of the particular challenges diversifying such a conference faces. For one, if there aren't very many people of such-and-such group in philosophy in the first place, then it might be more difficult to recruit speakers representing that minority. It is my understanding that the committee made every effort to recruit and welcome speakers and participants of all walks of life. Second, the committee cannot control who actually shows up. I attended a session that was supposed to have 3 speakers--all discussing disability in one way or another--and only one speaker was present. I am not sure whether the other two decided not to attend or whether the committee was able to recruit two other speakers, but it was clear to me that the committee did aim to have more. This was not even the only panel addressing disability studies or concerns (by my
 count, there were six talks specifically on disability).
I think that it is important for us to discuss these issues and I am grateful to the APA and conference committee for taking the initiative. I, for one, would like to see the conference repeated annually. Perhaps in time, the conference will receive the positive publicity and attention it deserves, and diversifying the diversity conference will be as easily done as said.

These thoughts are just my two cents, as someone who was actually there.

Best wishes,
Audrey