FEAST-L Archives

September 2013

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Sender:
Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2013 22:57:30 -0500
8bit
From:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
To: "p.lomelino" <[log in to unmask]>, Pamela Jean Lomelino <[log in to unmask]>
Shay et al:

When I read the original post, I thought instantly along the lines of
desperation affecting conditions of autonomy (though it could also be a salient
emotional indicator of constrained choices or coercion, a la the role that
Walker describes for resentment being a salient emotional indicator of
transgressions).

Along the lines of affecting conditions of autonomy, and characterizing
desperation, I wonder if it would help to look at some of the recent psych
research on the cumulative effects of poverty. This will sound totally out of
left-field unless you've been keeping up on it.  But poverty, and its
cumulative effects/stressors, appear to be a primary predictor of academic and
workplace performance, and leads to poor decision-making.  Here is a thing
along those lines.  This could be a red herring.  But I don't mean for it to be
one.  Even rejecting something along these lines could help firm up what
desperation, as a constraint on autonomy or coercive force, is NOT.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2013/09/poverty_and_cognitive_impairment_study_shows_money_troubles_make_decision.html

Also, FYI, if you Google "poverty desperation" in news.google.com, what you get
is Yemen, Syria, Egypt... all places where there is very real trauma.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.  I take it when you say "the
conference" that you mean FEAST.  I am also looking forward to it!  FEAST
always leaves me feeling simultaneously angry, enlightened, and reinvigorated.

Best,
  Alison

   Alison Reiheld
   Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy
   College of Arts and Sciences
   SIU-Edwardsville