FEAST-L Archives

November 2014

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2014 10:07:42 -0600
Folks:

My department (http://www.siue.edu/artsandsciences/philosophy/index.shtml) has
an open search for a full-time Instructor position to teach Reasoning and
Argumentation, which is like a general critical thinking course (informal
logic) aimed to teach students not only to assess and analyze arguments but
also to construct them. RA 101 is required for SIUE students to graduate.
Section size should be decreasing, especially with this hire. At present,
sections are capped at 35 but this is planned to decrease over the next several
years.

Our department is feminist-friendly (the last 3 chairs of our department have
been women, including the present chair) and SIUE has a thriving Women's
Studies program which members of any department can join and which also
demonstrates general institutional attitudes. Our department has sent a student
to PIKSI, has a philosophically diverse faculty, and has both male and female
faculty members who use feminist philosophy in their research and teaching. We
offer courses in feminist philosophy and philosophy of race as well as the more
standard curriculum. We very much would like to hire a philosopher who will
attract students of all races, nationalities, and genders to the discipline.

In addition, we are 30 minutes from St. Louis, where the confluence of UMSL,
Webster, St. Louis University, and Washington University philosophers creates
an active local philosophical community.

I regret that I cannot advertise a tenure-track hire. However, for people who
love teaching, don't have an intense research agenda, and want to never have to
do service as a job requirement, this may be a good fit. It is also a full-time
job with benefits in philosophy (there are worse gigs), and Instructors at SIUE
are represented by a union.

We are not advertising this job in PhilJobs because it does not include
relocation support and we are hoping to recruit from a diverse pool of
applicants already located in the Midwest.

I am happy to answer further questions if anyone has any. The formal job
description can be found below. Please note that the deadline is in early
December.

Best,
 Alison Reiheld
------------
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville: Full-time Instructor, non-tenure
track, nine-month renewable appointment, beginning August 16, 2015. Full
benefits.  MA or PhD in Philosophy required. Teaching experience required.
Seeking an excellent teacher to teach Reasoning and Argumentation.  Other
courses possible depending on curricular need and qualifications.  Four courses
per semester. Possible summer teaching available. No research or service duties
expected.  Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. EO/AAE. The
department embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will create a climate
that attracts students of all races, nationalities, and genders. We strongly
encourage women and minorities to apply. (SIUE is a state university; benefits
under state-sponsored plans may not be available to holders of F1 or J1 visas.)
Applications may be submitted electronically through Interfolio
(https://apply.interfolio.com/27502), or sent in hard copy to Judith Crane,
Chair, Department of Philosophy, Box 1433, Southern Illinois University
Edwardsville, Edwardsville, IL 62026.  Applications should include cover
letter, Curriculum Vitae, teaching portfolio (teaching statement, course
evaluation data, syllabi, other teaching materials), transcripts, and three
letters of recommendation. Applications will be accepted until December 3,
2015.
   Alison Reiheld
   Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy
   College of Arts and Sciences
   SIU-Edwardsville