Re: Table required for testing of missions in Fairfax or Ashburn.

Anant Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>

Anant Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:29:55 -0500

Niketa:

On average, most team tables are better than the competition tables (the public property vs private property syndrome).  While it is good of you to try your approach, please don't rely on this too much.  You may want to coach your kids to be flexible and adapt to the circumstances quickly.  If they do this well, they will generally be able to improve their score from round to round during the competition day.

If you need realistic tables, you would need to age relatively inexpensive competition tables in storage trailers for about 5 years, a process almost as hard as producing fine whiskey, especially if you want to replicate the microclimate of the parking lots, and the delicate warping produced by leaning tables at an angle against the wall for 11 months.

None of this is the fault of the hardworking VA-DC FLL volunteers and organizers -- it is just competition reality.  FLL HQ in Manchester is seized of this problem and is currently collecting ideas for better tables.

I haven't met many coaches who love the competition tables over their own.  This problem could easily be solved in the short term if every one of the 525 VA-DC FLL teams sent in $10 for a new set of high quality competition tables of standard design (preferably designed under the supervision of a committee of experienced coaches).  That is just $1 a child.  It is a pity that kids (especially beginner teams) must suffer for want of a nail ...

One additional tip that may help this year is that the bounce characteristics of MDF is considerably different than gourmet plywood - important for the sports mission.  Is your team prepared to team adapt?  I think it would be legal to use the 1-min setup time before the round to test this characteristic on your specific table( if your team is using a bounce strategy) and adjust your program.

Best of luck,
Anant Narayanan

Sent from my iPad