FEAST-L Archives

February 2015

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2015 13:36:13 -0600
Yes, I think Ornaith is on the write track.

To unpack this a bit, here's what I think may be happening: women are
supposed to be nurturing, caring, emotional (this is both used in
their favor and against them). When they aren't, it is a betrayal. How
unfair that she is not nurturing or caring to me! How mean that she is
not nurturing or caring, as she ought to be! Because if women are not
being kind, but are very emotional, they must be acting unfairly and
in a mean way.

This fits with my recent experiences. In a recent semester, I had to
come down hard on a student who was consistently absent, not showing
up for class regularly, making the same mistakes paper after paper,
etc. That was the only semester that anyone has ever called me
passive-aggressive on student evals.

Thoughts?

Best,
  Alison

Quoting "ODowd, Ornaith (odowdoh)" <[log in to unmask]>:

> On the combination of “caring” with “unfair” and “mean,” it strikes
> me as being a lot like a certain teenage conception of “Mom.”
> -Ornaith.

    Alison Reiheld
    Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy
    College of Arts and Sciences
    SIU-Edwardsville
    Scholarly blog: http://www.ijfab.org/blog/author/alisonreiheld/
    Twitter: @AlisonReiheld