FEAST-L Archives

April 2015

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alison Reiheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:26:26 -0500
Melissa:

Are you using more modern secondary texts on historical male
philosophers? If so, it would be super smooth to integrate modern
female authors of secondary texts in addition to any female ancient
philosophers.

Best,
  Alison Reiheld

Quoting Melissa Burchard <[log in to unmask]>:

> Mary Ellen Waithe's volume on ancient women philosophers has a lot more
> fragments; my favorites are the pythagoreans. I think it's just titled "A
> History of Women Philosophers" vol. 1.
> It's fun to include the women!
> Best, Melissa
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Sara Protasi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Dear FEASTers,
>>
>> first of all, let me remark on what a wonderful resource this is and how
>> appreciative I am not only of the answers you all gave me in the past but
>> also of all of the other inquiries and information provided via this
>> newsletter. I am learning so much just by standing on the sidelines, not
>> just in terms of philosophical content, but also of history of the
>> discipline (I am thinking especially of the all the emails concerning Nancy
>> Hartsock).
>>
>> Ok, now for the the request of help! I am teaching Ancient (Western)
>> philosophy in the Fall (introductory undergraduate class, students ranging
>> from freshmen to senior level) and I am trying to integrate women
>> philosophers in my syllabus, which is not an easy task. Any suggestion?
>>
>> The only source of primary literature accessible to undergraduates that I
>> have been able to find is Kathleen Wider's 1986 Hypatia article. The
>> fragments reported there are actually not terribly interesting
>> (philosophically speaking), but the article raises a bunch of historical,
>> historiographical and sociological issues that might be novel to many
>> students.
>> I am leaning toward assigning it as my reading for one class dedicated in
>> general to the topic "where are the women in Ancient philosophy?".
>>
>> Any further suggestion would be very appreciated. I'll happily send a
>> digest of what I get, if I receive it off-list (but I take it that people
>> don't mind to have a thread on these things).
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Sara
>> [log in to unmask] or click the following link:
>> https://listserv.jmu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=FEAST-L&A=1
>>

> --
> Melissa Burchard
> Professor of Philosophy
> University of North Carolina Asheville

> write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
> or click the following link:
> https://listserv.jmu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=FEAST-L&A=1

    Alison Reiheld
    Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy
    College of Arts and Sciences
    SIU-Edwardsville
    Editorial Board, International Journal of Feminist Approaches to Bioethics
    Scholarly blog: http://www.ijfab.org/blog/author/alisonreiheld/
    Twitter: @AlisonReiheld
    E-mail:  [log in to unmask]