VADCJRFLL-L Archives

VADCJRFLL-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

VADCJRFLL-L Home

VADCJRFLL-L  May 2017

VADCJRFLL-L May 2017

Re: 8 year old looking for a team NoVa

"Jones, Krystian Wyvonne - joneskw" <[log in to unmask]>

Jones, Krystian Wyvonne - joneskw

Mon, 1 May 2017 21:00:55 +0000

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for your interest in FIRST LEGO League!

FIRST® LEGO® League, one of four STEM-learning programs from FIRST®,
immerses kids in real-world science and technology challenges. Teams of
kids ages 9 to 14 are challenged to design their own solution to current
scientific problems, then build LEGO®robots that perform autonomous
"missions." In the process, they develop valuable life skills and discover
exciting career possibilities in science and technology. They even
discover that they, too, can make positive contributions to society.

To start a FIRST LEGO League team you will want 2-10 team members & 2
coaches/mentors to start a team.  When May hits you will want to register
your team with FIRST (firstinspires.org).  There will be a $225
registration fee to acquire your national team number and gain access to
all of the LEGO Education products.  If you are new team you will need to
purchase the EV3 Robot which generally runs around $500 + shipping and
handling.  In addition to the robot, you will want to purchase a field set
up kit ($75 + shipping and handling).  Once the above steps are complete,
you are eligible to register for a local competition ($125).

We highly recommend first looking into your child¹s school to see if a
team has already been established.  If a team has not been established,
talk with your child¹s teacher about the program to gauge their interest
and the schools motivation to starting at team.  You are more than welcome
to give them my contact information and I will be happy to answer any
questions that may arise.

A second option is to start your own team with your child and a few of
their friends (this is easier than it seems).

A third option is to find a community group to start a FIRST LEGO League
Jr. or FIRST LEGO League team.  If your child is involved in boy/girl
scouts, a church organization, children¹s museum etc.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I will be
happy to help!

Krystian Jones
Assistant Director of Virginia/DC FIRST® LEGO® League
James Madison University
Lakeview Hall, MSC 0305
298 Port Republic Rd. Harrisonburg, VA 22807
Office: 540-568-2216

On 4/20/17, 3:15 PM, "Junior FIRST LEGO League in Virginia and DC on
behalf of Nancy Lee" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of