VADCFLL-L  August 2017

VADCFLL-L August 2017

Re: Looking for a team in Vienna, VA

"Jones, Krystian Wyvonne - joneskw" <[log in to unmask]>

Jones, Krystian Wyvonne - joneskw

Thu, 3 Aug 2017 13:02:30 +0000

Hi Ni,

Thank you for reaching out!

We unfortunately cannot release contact information of previously formed
teams due to the different dynamics of each team.  However, there are a
number of ways to get your child involved in the FIRST LEGO League Jr. or
FIRST LEGO League program!

FIRST® LEGO® League, one of four STEM-learning programs from FIRST®,
immerses kids in real-world science and technology challenges. Teams of
kids ages 9 to 14* are challenged to design their own solution to current
scientific problems, then build LEGO®robots that perform autonomous
"missions." In the process, they develop valuable life skills and discover
exciting career possibilities in science and technology. They even
discover that they, too, can make positive contributions to society.

We highly recommend first looking into your child¹s school to see if a
team has already been established.  If a team has not been established,
talk with your child¹s teacher about the program to gauge their interest
and the schools motivation to starting at team.  You are more than welcome
to give them my contact information and I will be happy to answer any
questions that may arise in the formation of new teams.

A second option is reaching out through the listserv, or Facebook page.
Listserv: https://listserv.jmu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=VADCFLL-L
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VADCFLL/

A third option is to start your own team with your child and a few of
their friends (this is easier than it seems).
http://info.firstinspires.org/hubfs/stem-bundle/FLL_Start_a_Team_Infographi
c.pdf.  If this is something that interests you, here is some additional
information.

For FIRST LEGO League you will want 2-10 team members & 2 coaches/mentors
to start a team.

There will be a $225 registration fee to acquire your national team number
and gain access to all of the LEGO Education products.  If you are new
team you will need to purchase the EV3 Robot which generally runs around
$500 + shipping and handling.  In addition to the robot, you will want to
purchase a field set up kit ($75 + shipping and handling).  Once the above
steps are complete, you are eligible to register for a local competition
($125).

There are a few more ways to get your child involved.  Check out how:
https://va-dcfll.org/teams/join-a-team/.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.  Please let me know if you have
any additional questions and I will be happy to assist!

Krystian Jones
Assistant Director of Virginia/DC FIRST® LEGO® League
James Madison University
Lakeview Hall, MSC 0305
298 Port Republic Rd. Harrisonburg, VA 22807
Office: 540-568-2216

On 8/1/17, 7:54 PM, "First Lego League in Virginia and DC on behalf of Ni
Yuan Meggers" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of