FEAST-L Archives

December 2017

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
TRACY L RUTLER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TRACY L RUTLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2017 16:23:53 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the launch of a new website: "Legacies of the Enlightenment: Humanity, Nature, and Science in at Changing Climate" at

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__enlightenmentlegacies.org&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=2ss_-16bzrJmtYi0RScbb7lYXYyyr3dg5zPZNGMG7S4&s=4pfsqA3IB-8sdsLEYIArfjl88Wnm0mldUA_uGQiikVo&e=

This site explores the legacies of the Enlightenment by gathering material on topics that continue to inform and even haunt our current worldviews. By building a database of teaching and research materials, we hope to provide a useful tool to students, teachers, and researchers interested examining how and why we continue to practice and embody the legacies of the Enlightenment. Such topics include (but are not limited to):

•    The evolution of social and political relations
•    Theories of climate, as well as the relation between the natural world, the human, and society
•    The nature of matter and objects
•    The structures of authority and institutions
•    The questioning of accepted notions of race, class, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, and citizenship through political upheavals and natural catastrophes
•    How dualistic notions of embodiment (splitting the mind from the body) are crucial for understanding the origins and the continued presence of racism and sexism
•    How taxonomic practices influences our relation to each other, as well as to other (non-human) animals

This website is part of a larger project that has been funded by a Humanities Without Walls grant and that aims to bring together scholars from various fields and at all levels of their academic trajectory - both virtually and in person - to respond to these questions. To learn more about the project, visit the About page and click on Project History.

Please check out the website and let us know what you think. If you are interested in contributing, please use the "Contact Us" form on the site and we will be happy to let you know how to get involved.

Sincerely,

Valentina Denzel and Tracy Rutler
"Legacies of the Enlightenment" Project Leaders

--
Tracy Rutler
Assistant Professor of French and Francophone Studies and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies