TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

July 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2018 15:34:43 -0600
John:

Fascinating!  As it turns out, Leo Perutz's 1933 novel "Saint Peter's
Snow" is an important one for me -- since it apparently describes the
invention of LSD 5-years before it was first "officially" synthesized
at Sandoz in Basle (yes, as it turns out, I'm the "historian" of LSD.)
  Ever have the chance to read it . . . ??

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Saint-2DPeters-2DSnow-2DLeo-2DPerutz_dp_1611458862&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=8gWMLyW-4S0F8shA4pIvFIhkqtYAHRv8FfknvF-8PBc&s=jUCqzAP--Vu_4--9pqCh13JqvmXDTHfk0_hisiklZNw&e=

As you likely know better than I, Hungarian Jews (if that's
appropriate in your case), are a very special group.  To some extent,
they might be described as "Khazars" (i.e. neither Sephardic or
Ashkenazi &c), somehow related to the Khazar Empire in Central Asia --
as written about by Arthur Koestler in his last novel "The Thirteenth
Tribe" (1976).

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Thirteenth-2DTribe-2DArthur-2DKoestler_dp_0945001428&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=8gWMLyW-4S0F8shA4pIvFIhkqtYAHRv8FfknvF-8PBc&s=sJVEoiN5J576BZzOysp6BHoAOIue7vFZb2mtgy1FefU&e=

Some other Hungarian "Khazars" who I've crossed paths with are
Intel-founder Andy Grove (who I met, plus had many dealings with his
company) and atom-bomb inventor Leo Szilard (who I've deeply
researched).  Quite a story, which has recently resurfaced in various
disputes about Jewish *genetics* . . . !!

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Khazars&d=DwIDaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=8gWMLyW-4S0F8shA4pIvFIhkqtYAHRv8FfknvF-8PBc&s=fJxVLwSImaJW6ZBLP3YITakQcYy8zRSj5Hz1S7jJ2O0&e=

Yes, I expect that your interests have a great deal to do with your
early experiences (as, indeed, have all of us).  There's no doubt that
"biography matters" a lot.

Thanks,

Mark