TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2018 08:09:29 -0600
Gregg:

Good review of an interesting book.  However, from what I can tell,
like most treatments of this sort, it mostly deals with the *figures*
and not the *ground* . . . <g>

Why would our Culture want people to behave like "infants," constantly
protected and, yes, "mothered" (but not "fathered," as Meghan McCain
recently reminded us)?  No, this is *not* something that promotes
"Wisdom" (which, as the saying sometimes goes, is "wasted on the
youth.")

The most obvious answer is that our Culture is supported by an economy
that is overwhelmingly driven by *consumers* (not producers, with
"industry" now amounting to less than 12% of the GDP) and,
accordingly, our lives are filled with "advertising" -- most of which
is for things we truly don't need.  But pushed enough, we might be
convinced to "want" it.

The sort of person who is the ideal consumer -- as many I know in the
ad-biz have repeatedly told me -- is a 13 year-old girl (or its
psychological equivalent.)  The best advertising is, as put in their
mad-lexicon, "seducing their delicate affections."  They are the most
likely to form "brand" allegiances and, as the Colin Kapernick fluff
reminds us, *memes* aren't targeted at "inquiring minds."  Although,
it is true the Facebook memes about Third World workers making
$0.23/hour in Nike factories and Nazi doctors "sacrificing everything"
can be darkly humorous.  Yes, under sane conditions, much
award-winning advertising would be classified as child abuse.

The Labor Force Participation rate (LFP) in 1970 was 90/30%,
male/female, and now it's 60/60% (heading towards 30/30%) -- reflected
a massive drop in men-at-work (under RADIO conditions) along with a
doubling of women-at-work.  This is fundamental structural change in
the Culture, which therefore must have a structural (or *formal*) cause.

TELEVISION -- the previous *paradigm* -- is, of course, behind all
this.  As a recent New Yorker (the once "literary" publication, now
being "edited" on Twitter) story by Ken Auletta (their long-time
"media maven") put it, the "Mad Men" have now been replaced by the
"Math Men."  The Russian (among many others) "interference" in the
2016 election was mostly just more advertising -- intersecting the
reality that "politics" is also a thriving click-bait "consumer"
business opportunity.  As it turns out, the Russians are very good at
math.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www-2Dnewyorker-2Dcom.cdn.ampproject.org_c_s_www.newyorker.com_news_annals-2Dof-2Dcommunications_how-2Dthe-2Dmath-2Dmen-2Doverthrew-2Dthe-2Dmad-2Dmen_amp&d=DwIBaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=JFYdBt2Wf0YCKU-XcalQdM9z8fxgQ5hWdtFrVXJJtts&s=5vlXUENPpKILnfpHMVZeN3tlrQYE_BJLjvQKQxGxsSQ&e=

The "mother" has long-been the symbol of the TELEVISION age -- with
the "boob tube" replacing what was once the "family hearth."  From
"Leave it to Beaver" to "All in the Family" and "Married With
Children," the steady degradation of *fathers* in our Culture has been
widely documented.  As I've mentioned, Jordan Peterson's affection for
Jung -- perhaps not so well understood by his young male audience --
has as one of its anchors "The Great Mother."  Post-modernity has been
a romp by the "goddess" triumphant (endlessly "deconstructing"
male-power) -- as reflected in most television commentary about
politics, or whatever else, today.  Yes, the Goddess, even captured
the Catholic Church.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amazon.com_Great-2DMother-2DAnalysis-2DArchetype-2DNeumann_dp_0691166072&d=DwIBaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=JFYdBt2Wf0YCKU-XcalQdM9z8fxgQ5hWdtFrVXJJtts&s=KXCvxzsmLy_TUvHQyZ8eO_IwN0aGJ_vu5jXUSOli95o&e=

"Safety," as many anthropologists have emphasized, is "women's work"
in most human communities they study.  Much of non-human biology (aka
Ethology) would agree.  "Danger," on the other hand -- frequently
meaning an early death -- is for somebody else.  Just ask Konrad Lorenz.

Yes, along so much else, under DIGITAL conditions, this is also a part
of the growing pile now labelled "everything must go" . . . !!

Mark