TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

September 2018

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Mark Stahlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2018 07:52:54 -0600
Gregg:

That's an interesting observation . . . !!

Formal *causes* cause "forms."  So, whatever has a "form" must have a
"formal cause" which "formed" it (i.e. caused it to have "form.")
"Informing" and "conforming" &c are just versions of the same word --
prefix applied to root.  Understanding "form" (or, in Greek,
"morphos") is needed to make sense of any of the derivative terms.

Aristotle's "Metaphysics" is based on the hylozoic fusion of "matter"
(potential) and "form" (actual.)  Without "form," it seems to me, that
"matter" is formless (and, as a result. of no interest to humans other
than as something that potentially has form.)  Is an "atom" (which, of
course, is a human concept, not a physical reality) without "form"?
Is an String Theory equation (again, just another human concept)
without "form"?

As soon as we start studying "matter" we supply it with "forms."
"Substance" (also a concept, not a physical reality), also has form,
so it also has its "formal cause" (i.e. that-which-gave-it-form.)  In
other words, we humans can't understand "matter" *without* "forms."
Okay, people who take a lot of LSD would likely disagree . . . !!

"Material science" is a description, not actual physical reality.  It
is a human activity studying "matter" (making it something
conceptualized by humans.)  String-theory, quantum physics &c, are
*all* human "forms" which have been imposed on reality so that we
humans can better understand it.  These "forms" require humans to
exist.  If no one came up with the "form," then it wouldn't be "real."

As a result, *all* four of Aristotle's "causes" are required for
humans to understand anything -- including "substance."  On the other
hand, if we were monkeys, then none of the causes would be needed at
all . . . <g>

Btw, this is why Eric McLuhan opened his "On Formal Cause" essay (EME,
2005,  reprinted in "Media and Formal Cause," 2011) with --

"Of the four, Farm'l Cows is the fundamental one and it contains all
the udders . . . "

Mark

P.S. It was Plato who believed that there are "Forms" without needing
any humans.  Aristotle spent his entire life disputing that as a
"silly story."  As a result, Plato dominates in the modern West (but
not before "modernity") -- particularly for the past 400+ years (i.e.
since PRINT), when Aristotle has been "buried."  We are now digging
him up.  Yes -- this would only be possible if we were already in a
the *new* DIGITAL paradigm.

P.P.S "Complexity Science" was originally called "Chaos Science." It
starts with something that is "formless" (i.e. "chaos") and then
posits a "form" for this formless-whatever-it-is based on the
principles of "emergence."  So, in this approach, Aristotle is totally
ignored (as usual) and another "theory" has been proposed, along with
its "forms."  There is no need for "causes," which is why this
approach is ELECTRIC (i.e. a product of the same psycho-technological
environment that earlier eliminated causes.)

It was invented to design nuclear weapons at Los Alamos -- which are
thought of as "tiny stars."  Perhaps "complexity science" is good for
that purpose but it is useless for explaining Life/Psychology/Culture,
as has been shown by its complete failure over the past 30+ years.  As
a result, we think it should be buried now that we are DIGITAL (which
we told the Santa Fe types last year and they tossed us out for our
remarkable *heretical* impiety.)