Re: Problems with M01 - Space Travel Reliability (due to mat instability)

Thomas Tweeks Weeks <[log in to unmask]>

Thomas Tweeks Weeks <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Oct 2018 22:11:10 -0400

Thanks Steve. (sorry for the duplicate emails)

The "tower" I'm talking about is indeed the M01 "space travel ramp tower" as seen here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_DPr39T&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=k6Oa5GxfBPFMgGjb2r5QIoEOeBZs9xbNIpA0kLw_kFQ&m=tD8q1uU3RHscV8-Ntx0hFkn8awz_ZGnRx3esJzr9M7E&s=VpMXFGH8JubJ3gStnL1P1v95EvwUwomBSqlbbzUttCo&e=

The tower (with the ramp on it) is barely stable enough (with it's thin footprint on the mat) to stay in position. With the mat mount being so close to the edge of the mat (and in the NW corner), the mat movements of even loading a M01 Vehicle Payload that bumps the ramp can pull it up off the table... making it nearly impossible to know which way the tower is going to be leaning.

Even with using exact robot positioning using color sensors from the near by black line is not usable.  IMHO, the mission's mechanical tolerances combined with that mat lifting movement are not up to regular lego par.

We require our kids always test successful missions at least 4/5 times. They had M01 working 5/5 until the mat started moving around.

Personally.. We're thinking about taping down our M01 space travel mat area down and see if it helps (and if so, will ask that our local table refs do this at the competition).   We've already wasted around 18 hours on that mission.. (after having everything working, and then the mat taking it out of tolerance).

I would recommend you poll a few other coaches and see what they're seeing too and make a decision soon.

Cheers,

Coach T.Weeks
Fire Breathing Rubber Duckies Div-1, #19237