TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

May 2023

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UTOK Society listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2023 11:57:06 +0000
Thanks for sharing this, Victor.

I agree with you that systems are poorly defined, and thus in some ways akin to the problem of psychology. The main issue we would want to be clear about in drawing the analogy is to ask: What kind of concept is "systems"?

Richard Rorty (I think, not sure of citation here, so forgive me if not exact) said that "there is no unified theory of lawn tools." The point he was making is that there are many concepts that should not be defined as crisp, natural domains in nature. Put in the ToK language, there are only some domains or concepts that can be defined via true joint points in nature.

Lawn tools clearly are not defined via joint points.

Should "systems" be clearly defined? I will leave that to systems theorists.

But, the cool thing about psychology is that most people would say that it would be an amorphous, undefinable concept that you have to just grapple with from a pragmatic perspective. However, the ToK shows why the domain of Mind/mindedness/mental behavior is CRISPLY definable.

Best.