TOK-SOCIETY-L Archives

March 2024

TOK-SOCIETY-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Steve Beller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UTOK Society listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:49:40 -0400
I want to say that this is a beautiful explanation of religion, mythos, symbolic order, and justification systems!!!

What I found especially enlightening is UTOK's Justification Systems Theory, which posits that humans, as justifying creatures, form networks of beliefs and values to understand the world and guide behavior. In the context of religion, this theory suggests that religion serves as a central justification system, providing answers to both factual questions (what is the case) and value-based questions (what ought to be the case). Religion, through its mythos, offers a framework for interpreting the world and shaping beliefs, values, and behavior within a community. The theory emphasizes the importance of religion as a means of legitimizing how people perceive the world and how they should act within it.

In this way, religion is a shared narrative for meaning-making, emphasizing its role in providing both factual and value-based justifications. Mythos is explained as the symbolic order through which humans interpret their world and cooperate in meeting challenges. This symbolic order is communicated through rituals and stories, forming the basis of a community's beliefs and institutions.

Justification systems are related in that they are networks of beliefs and values that provide structure for understanding the world and guiding behavior. The two fundamental challenges within justification systems are justifying what the case (facts) is and justifying what ought to be the case (values). While modern science excels at justifying facts, it cannot address values, leaving a gap in providing a comprehensive worldview.

The text argues that religion functions as a central human justification system for determining what ought to be, complementing the factual justifications provided by science. However, in the West, there has been a shift away from religious justifications towards a scientific worldview, leading to a meaning crisis. The authors suggest that both types of justifications—logos (science) and mythos (religion)—are necessary for a coherent understanding of the world and our place in it.

From my perspective, justification is a type of "measurement belief" about values-based continuums, such as what makes someone a good or bad, worthy or unworthy, deserving or undeserving person. The way we judge and treat people (including ourselves) is often determined by the labels we assign to them, defining the value and virtue of their "true nature." I call this "people-appraisal" and contend it underlies many of the devastating psychological problems individuals and our species face. In some ways, conventional religion is a causative factor...A double-edged sword. Here's something I wrote on this topic at https://stevebeller.medium.com/people-appraisal-mindset-badbaa55d1b9

Steve Beller, PhD