Eric

My son and others at the same high school have also had their volunteer
hours denied by the school for mentoring FLL teams and demonstrating
FIRST Robotics at the State Fair, Libraries, etc for the last 3 years.
My son was told by the "community service in charge" at the school that
the State Fair was a "for profit" because they charged admission. If
you Google it, it clearly tells you the the State Fair of Virginia is a
501 3 c but this person did not even bother to check it out. We have
just about opted not to worry about getting "credit" for community
service at this high school and county. They have a preconcieved notion
of what that is and giving hours of your time sharing science and
engineering with other children is not one of them. You can get credit
tutoring priviledged kids at the elementary school across the street
from the high school and I have witnessed kids sitting around
socializing with each other while they earn credit for community
service at other places. I know my son and others on the team work hard
when they volunteer for FLL, the State Fair, etc because I am usually
there with them. These kids put in countless hours and love every
minute of it. Their passion and commitment is truly amazing.

Let me know if I can help educate the County of Henrico.

Ann Kutz