Posting this not on behalf of Wally Walter:

Nov 11, 2008 11:14:08 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

Hi George,

I had checked on this issue with Scott Evans, who edits the Q&A Blog.  He replied to me on 10/21 below.  I was surprised that he didn't clarify this in the blog.

Hi Wally,

It was a wierd sentence structure, but I wasn't missing a word.  But forget my last e-mail if it helps, and replace it with this...

Objects can be placed:

1)  Completely in Base
2)  Partially in/out of Base
3)  Completely and unstrategically immediately outside Base
4)  In a box box off the table in sight of the referee

But they can not be:

5)  On the floor
6)  Held by kids other than the current two drivers

Clear yet?  If not, do let me know, and have an excellent day,

Scott

Two things are clear.  (1) A box on the floor is ruled out explicitly.  (2) A box held by a third kid is ruled out implicitly, because otherwise the objects in the box would be considered "held" by the third kid.

On 10/20 in his earlier e-mail, he explained the problems with a box on the floor:

What if the box were on the floor next to the team members?
Floor is not so good---ref can't inspect, and the kids or the referee could trip over it.

Scott in the same e-mail wrote on carts:

Carts and TV trays are common and perfectly fine by way of the rules, but do check with the people running your event in case they have some sompelling case against that.

He gives no explanation of what would constitute a compelling case.  The only one that makes sense is lack of room, which is not an issue at either the regional or state tournament, and apparently from the last e-mail at last year's world tournament.

So I humbly request reconsideration of this ruling, particularly since it is at variance to custom throughout FLL and so late as to impose last minute challenges for teams who have practiced with them.

Warmest regards,

Wally Walter
Co-Coach, Lake Anne Sea Monsters

______________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE or CHANGE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION, please visit https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-l.html and select "Join or leave the list". If you want to join the VADCFLL-ADMIN-L mailing list - to which FLL administrative announcements will be distributed - visit https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-admin-l.html and select "Join or leave the list".