From an overall, state perspective, there is no reason that you cannot use a small table to place mission objects (robot attachments, mission models not currently in use, etc.) during the competition.  That being said, individual tournaments may need to place restrictions on them due to tournament space available.  I will leave that up to the individual tournament directors and head referees if that will be an issue because they know their spaces best.  Additionally, if you do plan on using a table (or box) please be aware that a referee may ask you to move it slightly if it is interfering with their ability to do their work.

Additionally, there was a question on the listserv about removing objects from the Base during the round.  If there are objects in the Base at the start of the round or during setup that your team does not plan on using at that time or at all during the round, they may be removed and placed in a box or on a table (see Housekeeping rule). These should be returned to the Base at the conclusion of the round (or can be returned earlier and used by the robot) so that the score sheet can be completed and to help ensure that mission models don't accidentally wander off (the next team may need them).  The exception to this is that any levy blocks need to remain somewhere on the table or within easy reach during the round so that the referee can get to them.

Hope it helps.  We're in the homestretch for Regionals!

Karen
Head Referee (VA/DC State Tournament)
Tournament Director (Newport News Regional)

-----Original Message-----
From: First Lego League Discussion [mailto:VADCFLL-L@kookaburra1.jmu.edu] On Behalf Of KevinHines
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2008 9:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VADCFLL-L] May the team bring a small table to the match?

Ralph,

Thanks! The type of small, folding table I'm referring to is often called a
TV tray table, with a top surface that's approximately 1 ft by 2 ft. My
team has used this at tournaments for each of the past three years, and I've
seen other teams do the same.

As far as space is concerned, the small table fits well within the area
designated as near the robot performance table, where only two team members
are allowed at any one time, so there's plenty of room within that area.

If there's any question about this, I'd be happy to share photos I have from
previous tournaments, such as last year, showing my team using our small
table, alongside the robot performance table, with referees watching while
the small table is being used to hold up our plastic bin.

After reading your post, I re-read the rules, and I can find nothing in the
rules to disallow the use of a plastic bin, nor anything to disallow the use
of a small table... please someone correct me if I'm wrong.