From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:33:36 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Urgent - FLL Tournament Access and Parking

Attention please to all who are planning to attend the
Maggie L. Walker FIRST LEGO League Tournament!

We have a major conflict with the Richmond Marathon, which takes place this Saturday --- the same day as Maggie Walker's FLL tournament.

Maggie L. Walker Governor's school is encircled by the routes of the three marathon races and travel to and from the school this Saturday is liable to be difficult.  Most important to our tournament, Richmond Marathon/Sports Backers is closing off Lombardy Street between 7AM and 3PM and WILL NOT be allowing tournament goers to access the Maggie Walker parking lot.

However, George Washington Carver Elementary School and James River Bus Lines have both generously agreed to allow us to use their parking lots for the event.  Both are close by the school.  George Washington Carver Elementary School is located at 1110 W. Leigh Street and the parking lot is entered from the Harrison Street on the side of the school.  The James River Bus Lines parking lot is on Allen Ave., which is across from their terminal building at 915 N. Allen Avenue and between W. Leigh Street and W. Broad Street.

There are only two routes that can be used to get to Maggie Walker on the day pf the Tournament.  You must access I-95 either south of the city or north of the Boulevard.
We are told these routes into the school will be open all day.

However, please note that once at Maggie Walker it appears unlikely
that anyone will be able to drive out again until after 3PM when the Marathon is over!

Directions to get into Maggie L. Walker Governor's School for the day are as follows -

North of Richmond:  Take I-95 South to the Belvidere Exit, Number 76B. Turn right onto West Leigh Street at the top of the ramp and follow W. Leigh Street to George Washington Carver Elementary School at 1110 W. Leigh Street.  Turn right onto Harrison Street to access the parking lot.  Only use the parking lot on Harrison Street.  Please do not park on the grass or on the ball fields!   You can then walk to Maggie L. Walker Governor's School, which is four blocks west of Carver on W. Leigh Street.

South of Richmond: Take I-95 North to the Boulevard Exit.  At the end of the exit ramp, turn left onto Hermitage Road and go under the overpass.  Continue for several blocks on Hermitage until you reach the stop light at W. Leigh Street.  Turn left onto W. Leigh St.  At the stop sign, turn right onto Allen Ave., then turn right into the James River Bus Lines' parking lot, across the street from the JRBL terminal.  Please do not park in the terminal parking lot.  To get to Maggie L. Walker Governor's School walk back to the intersection of Allen Ave. and W. Leigh Street.  The school is half a block east.

Alternate route:  If you can time your trip so that you will be crossing Broad Street at Meadow St./Hermitage Rd. between 7-8AM, you can take the Powhite Parkway to the Cary Street exit - East.  Travel east on Cary Street to Meadow St.  Turn left onto Meadow Street.  Between 7-8AM you should be able to cross both Cary St. and Broad Street.  Once you cross Broad St., Meadow becomes Hermitage Road.  Follow Hermitage to the stop light at W. Leigh Street.  Turn right onto W. Leigh Street.  At the stop sign, turn right onto Allen Ave., then turn right into the James River Bus Lines' parking lot, across the street from the JRBL terminal.  Please do not park in the terminal parking lot. To get to Maggie Walker Governor's School walk back to the intersection at Allen Ave. and W. Leigh St.  The school is half a block east.

If you need to deliver items to the Elizabeth Street entrance or need handicapped parking,
please plan to take the route from the South of Richmond or the alternative route!

Please DO NOT take the Boulevard exit if you are southbound on I-95 because you WILL NOT be allowed to turn left onto W. Leigh Street from the Boulevard!

Please DO NOT park in the Krogers or Lowes parking lot as your car may be towed!  Krogers' manager has informed us that they are planning to tow anyone who parks there.

Please plan to set out early to get to Maggie Walker and be prepared for delays.

Please consider car pooling to the event if possible.

The links provided below show the routes of the races, the scheduled traffic pattern changes, and street closings.
http://www.richmondmarathon.com/course_info.htm
(scroll down to see all three maps and route information)
http://www.richmondmarathon.com/traffic_changes.htm

I very much regret any inconvenience this may cause and hope that you will have a safe and uneventful trip to and from our tournament.

Sincerely,
Cleo Mullins

MLWGS FLL Tournament Director
Richmond, VA

______________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE or CHANGE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION, please visit https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-l.html and select "Join or leave the list". If you want to join the VADCFLL-ADMIN-L mailing list - to which FLL administrative announcements will be distributed - visit https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-admin-l.html and select "Join or leave the list".