You should at least have a separate coach for the project research activities.     It's also good to get the other team parents to handle logistics ( t-shirts , tournament day coordination...)

As far a "policing" , I think it is a good idea to have one or two kids take the lead to make sure the others stay on task.      We also have a ping pong  table  now which helps break up the monotony.   It's my fourth year coaching the same 10 kids and I like to step out of the room and pop in every so often for status reports from the team leads.    If you are a rookie team, be proud of your own achievement regardless of how many missions are completed.  Stick with it.  Coaching gets easier every year;  as long as you don't sweat the deadline.  Let the kids worry about that.

Btw, I have not as yet seen them solve more than one mission with any consistency.    I may have to put a moratorium on ping pong for a while :)

David Levy
Coach - Super Nanobot Extremes