There are lego parts. You can use them. the kits (not the mat) are all Lego
pieces. The rules section 6 defines what you can use.

We love the yellow pieces...

6 - EQUIPMENT
•    Your equipment (robot, attachments, and other accessories) must be made
entirely of LEGO elements in original factory condition. •    Exception 1:
You may reference a paper list to keep track of robot programs. •
Exception 2: LEGO string and tubing may be cut to length.
•    There are no restrictions on the quantities or sources of non-electric
LEGO elements, except that factory-made wind-up/pull-back “motors” are not
allowed. Pneumatic elements are allowed.
•    Electric elements must be the LEGO MINDSTORMS type. •    The total
number of each electric element you may use in any one match is limited as
listed below.
—————Remember to check the Robot Game Rulings often as new posts may affect
your team strategy.—————
To understand how these quantity limits are applied, let’s consider for
example, the motors: •    Imagine that a referee (a “ref”) stops your entire
team on your way to a match, and counts every
motor every team member has - every motor on the robot, and on all separate
attachments, and from
every cart, and box, and from all your pockets... The total must not exceed
three. •    If you have multiple motorized attachments, but it takes two
motors to drive the robot, you must find
a way to switch that third/last legal motor from one attachment to the next.
•    A fourth motor is always illegal, no matter what. •    Even if you only
plan to run three motors at a time, the fourth motor is illegal. •    Even
if the fourth motor is a spare, or used as weight, or as decoration, the
fourth motor is illegal.
For RCX Users:    For NXT Users:
Motors (3) RCX Controller (1) Touch Sensors (2) Light Sensors (2) Rotation
Sensors (3) 3rd Touch OR Light Sensor (1) Lamp (1)
Motors (3) NXT Controller (1) Touch Sensors (2) Light Sensors (2) Rotation
Sensors (3 minus the number of NXT motors present) Ultrasonic Sensor (1)
Lamp (1)
•    Due to the above limits, you may not use more than one robot in any one
match, but it’s okay to use a different robot in a different match, earlier
or later in the day.
•    LEGO wires and converter cables are allowed as needed. •    Spare
electrical parts are allowed in the PIT area. •    Computers are not allowed
in the competition area. •    Objects functioning as remote controls are not
allowed anywhere, at any time. •    Marker may be used for ownership
identification, for marks in hidden areas only. •    Paint, tape, glue, oil,
etc. are not allowed.
•    Stickers are not allowed, except LEGO stickers, applied per LEGO
instructions. •    If the robot is in violation - of this rule or Rule 7 -
and cannot be corrected, the decision about exactly
what to do rests with the tournament officials, but that robot may not win
awards.