It might be a really big job, but I think it is a great idea anyway!  My
kids wanted to patent their invention last year too.  And they were so upset
when they saw other people with a similar idea recently!  They said, "Man,
we should have gotten that patent!"  But we talked a lot about it, they
researched it on the internet, and even considered calling a local place
that does things with patents.  I always encouraged them, and just let them
discover the process on their own.  I think it is better to let them see the
obstacles on their own, and not have us tell them it's too hard.  It's great
that your team is that excited about their project!!

Sonya