Yes, this is my ultimate dilemma also.  We have used the rechargeable
battery pack for two years.  This year we began using the same one for the
third year, but we went ahead and replaced it and are now using a new one.
 I think the advantage is not having to disassemble the robot and change the
batteries, not wasting all those batteries, or not having to worry about
taking out the batteries and recharging them.  With the rechargeable battery
pack, you just plug it in.  And you can check what the charge is on it if
you feel like it is faltering.  I feel like this is working okay for us, but
I am wondering if I am missing something!

Sonya