Hi Adam,
I was wondering that myself, so thanks for asking.

I'll share our experience as a new team to see if it helps you decide one way or the other. We decided to push our team of 10 5th grades to do both project and robot, even though we didn't start meeting until Sept. 12th. We spent the first 3 weeks building lego's, talking about the project, and teaching them how to program the robot. Everyone was programming (4 laptops with teams of 2-3 on each) almost every practice up until this last week. Then we changed the structure so that just our best programmers are programming (3-4), and we have 2 other teams, project (3-4) and robot design (3). While the project group was a little put off at first, they seemed to take to the job at hand with enthusiasm. We'll see if that holds true tomorrow, and if this will be a successful way to organize the daunting amount of work at hand.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go!

Cheers,
Eric Crutchfield
Binary Beasts
Oak Grove Elementary, Roanoke