>  Has anyone used any of these resources and could provide additional
>information (or even just a  table of contents)?  I was especially looking at:

  -  LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT The Mayan Adventure
(They can all be found at
http://www.legoeducation.us/store/default.aspx?CategoryID=178&by=9&c=1)
We bought this one used off Amazon.  We didn't do the missions but did build
some of the models  in the book.  It had a great variety of robot bases.

We hope to explore things like varying wheel sizes, using gears, more about the
light sensor, etc.

We used this page from the Carnegie Melon lesson plan-
http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/previews/nxt_products/robotics_eng_vol_1/preview/content/projects/hallbot/forward/wheeldist/index.htm

I created a sheet that the kids used to measure different wheel sizes and
calculate the distance.  Then we did it like an algebra problem where I gave
them two bits of info and they had to find the third.  Which is bound to happen
when programming.

We will likely meet once a week for about 2 hours duing the off-season and we
have a division I and a division II group.
I'm hoping to get my group twice a month for this purpose.  Thanks for asking
the great questions.  I'm enjoying reviewing the suggestions.  Our weakest area
at the tournament was the programming and design.

Brandy