I was the coach for FLL 2005 Ocean Odyssey Team # 100 Robot Activators (a division 1 team). The team was rewarded The Director’s Award (aka. Championship Award) and Robot Performance Award (see the robot game story on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGiwjtNBDWo
What I remember is that the team research project was about how to use NASA’s Satellite based earth monitoring system with NOAA’s Buoy System in Pacific and Indian Ocean’s to improve early detection and warming of Tanami.
When I was listening NPR new hours after Japan’s earthquake and Tanami, I heard of Deep Ocean Buoys are the part of forecast/warming system used for determining when the Tanami will reach Hawaii and West coast. At the moment I hoped the Robot Activators (almost all of them are TJHSST juniors now) can hear this news – it is inspirational.
For more information, see http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/dart/dart.shtml and http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/20080310_buoy.html
Thank you for allowing me to share this with you.
Jin