Hi Jennifer!
It's tough to be a rookie since there is so much to figure out. I don't recommend skipping out on competing, though, as the experience is good for the team to go through even when they don't think the robot will do well. Performance is only 25% of the score after all, and they could win an award in one of the judged categories.

1. The National Registration must be done every year. You pay the fee and you get a new number.
2. You need to find a computer to get all of the information. It is not just single sheets--there are guides and manuals. The award categories that your team will be judged on are performance (on the field), robot design, research project, and teamwork. Each judging interview is 10 minutes; there are usually 3 matches on the field--only the highest score counts.
3. 2 hours a week is plenty for many teams. You will most likely add more time right before the competition as the kids never feel they are ready.
4. It doesn't matter if teams have the same name. As to the logos, that information is on the website. If you get a sponsor's logo to add, you will need to find out what their rules are, too.

Tell the parents what your needs are, including the ability to download all of the information. Perhaps one of them can take care of that for you. You will need a laptop for competition, and it would be best to have all the rules, etc., along with the programming on that computer. Also, if you need to spend money, divide by 6 and ask the parents to chip in, or see if any of them work for a company that will help out.

Good luck!