We are looking for VA/DC FLL teams to represent FIRST and FLL by showcasing their team at the Sally Ride Science Festival.  The goal of this festival is to encourage 5th to 8th GR girls to participate in Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (S.T.E.M) programs.  We would like to see FLL teams with girl members volunteer their time and talent as exhibitors to encourage and inspire festival participants.

DATE:  Saturday, September 17, 2011
PLACE:  George Mason University in Fairfax, VA
EVENT:  Sally Ride Festival (https://www.sallyridescience.com)
TIME:  Choose one (1) of the "exhibitor shifts" listed below...
10:30 am to 12:00 pm (this includes set-up time)
12:00 pm to 1:30 pm (this includes clean-up time)

WHAT IS THIS EVENT?  (Source:  https://www.sallyridescience.com/about_us)
"Sally Ride Science™ is an innovative science education company dedicated to supporting girls’ and boys’ interests in science, math and technology. Dr. Sally Ride, best known as America’s first woman in space, founded Sally Ride Science in 2001 to create quality programs and products that educate, entertain, engage and inspire."

WHAT WOULD THE VOLUNTEER FLL TEAMS DO AT THIS EVENT?
FLL teams will be exhibitors for this event's Street Fair scheduled from 11am to 1pm.  The Street Fair portion of this event is outdoors on George Mason University's campus in Fairfax, Virginia.  The event coordinators will provide the display tables.  VA/DC FLL will provide 1 or 2 FLL tables with the Body Forward field mat and mission set.  FLL teams can feature their 2010 Body Forward research project and/or their 2011 Food Factor research project.  For teams who are ready to talk about their Food Factor project, this is a great way to reach out and share your research with the community.  FLL teams can bring a robot to demo on the field mat.  We are not expecting teams to bring their 2010 Body Forward robot (unless they still have it).  However, we would like for teams to demo a robot in action--possibly running a few programs.  We would like for teams to be able to talk to festival visitors about FIRST, FLL and their experiences as an FLL team member.  Teams can hand out brochures about their team.   We will also have flyers about the VA/DC FLL program.

HOW DO FLL TEAMS SIGN-UP AS EXHIBITORS FOR THIS EVENT?
Send an email to [log in to unmask] to sign up.  Our Communications Chairperson, Angie Fontanilla, will contact you for more details.
SPECIAL NOTE:  The first 3 FLL teams who sign up will receive a flip camera after they complete their volunteer time at this event.  Due to space limitations, we can only accept up to 8 FLL teams (4 teams per time slot) for this exhibit.

This is a great opportunity for VA/DC FLL teams to share their knowledge and experience.  Let's show these girls how much fun FIRST and FLL can be!