Hello,

I noticed a couple issues involving the Thermometer mission model.

In the build instructions (9697_Thermometer_BI.pdf page 1) the spindle of the thermometer points West when the thermometer is indicating a high temperature.  In direct contrast, in the Robot Game Description there are two pictures (pages 6 & 7) that show the spindle pointing EAST when the thermometer is indicating a high temperature.  I’ve sent an email to [log in to unmask] to ask for clarification on the proper way to build the thermometer!

There’s a second issue with the Thermometer build instructions that I’ve discussed with other teams on YouTube.  Step 26 shows an arrow indicating to push the axle that the spindle rotates on downward.  This is a bit ambiguous.  Some teams have only pushed it down slightly and this results in a spindle that turns freely and does not fall into the grooves as it rotates.  If you push the axle all the way down in step 26, then the spindle is not as easy to rotate since it falls into the groves as it rotates.  I think clarification should be put out for how far to push the axle down in step 26 because the directions are ambiguous.  I know the rules (under Mission Storage Temperature) say “the spindle needs to drop all the way.”   This won’t make sense to the teams that didn’t push the axle all of the way down in step 26 of the build instructions.

Thanks,

Andy Traiger

Coach Vienna Robotics