If your kids had already started the competition training- research, some
robot design, contemplating the missions, etc.  I would take them to the
tournament.  Nothing deflates a child like wasted time and effort when it
involves work.
  My advice to the team below to "not enter" was based off of a team that
had not started anything yet- no robot, no training field, no research
project- with 2 weeks to go.
        If you have something- anything-, let them hash it out in front of
the judges. They will better understand what needs to happen next year.  My
kids were far more self driven and seemed more in command of this year's
team with the experience they got with just one year's competition under
their belts.
    If your research got derailed for any reason, get them to practice
telling the judges what they learned from their research journey; how it
changed and why, and what research would still like to do.  It's kinda like
a science fair project in that respect- the projects that turned out as the
hypothesis predicted don't always win.  Sometimes the kids who figured out
they needed more input, but can explain what they learned so far, are the
top dogs in the race.  At the end of your presentation practice time, have
mock judges; yourself, parents, siblings, and always get the kids to speak
up if they aren't asked, "what did you learn from your research?" They
should volunteer the best tid bits if they aren't directly asked about it.
     Perhaps go in with the attitude that is a trial year and expect your
team to uphold the FLL core values.  Anything can happen as far as awards,
but for us, that wasn't the point of our first competition and the kids came
away with a greater understanding of the general experience, a good attitude
and a drive for this year's competition.
 Good luck to your team,
Brandy