Mea Culpa -
My enthusiasm for being helpful led me to inadvertently provide some wrong information (only one practice round – ten minutes with the judges – five to present, five for questions).  The temptation exists to blame lack of caffeine or sleep but I’ll just take the fall for this one.
One of the great things about this list is that when you get it wrong (like I did) there are lots of people that step in and correct the record immediately for the good of all – but with gracious professionalism!
Stuart

On Oct 25, 2011, at 1:44 PM, Stuart & Lori Roll wrote:

  For the robot, you will have 5 rounds at the competition tables: two practice rounds to begin with followed by three rounds that count.  The highest scoring round from the three that count is your team’s score for that part of the competition.

  A robot round may only last 2.5 minutes, and they do try to keep the matches moving quickly, but when you add in team setup, scoring and the resetting of the table, each round is much longer than 2.5 minutes.  Now run every team through 5 rounds during the course of the day and it all adds up.

  Also your team will be scheduled for three judging sessions (research presentation, teamwork and robot design).  Each of those will only last about 5 minutes each but you must be ready in the hallway beforehand so you can start right on time.

  Your tournament day will consist of longer periods of idle time, interspersed with short bursts of activity as you round up your team and find where you are supposed to be for your next judging or robot round.  The day is pretty full and the kids will enjoy hanging out in the pit area, meeting other teams and using the practice tables there.  It is a good idea to have some UNO cards, a chess board, and to have the kids bring there Nintendo DS units, etc. to pass some of the idle time.

  There are also opening and closing ceremonies that help make it a full, but satisfying day.

  Stuart

  From: Michele Bossick
  Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:06 PM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: [VADCFLL-L] Robot game-how many matches

  Hello all-
  I am a rookie coach of the RoboSaints and was curious was to how many 2.5 minute matches we compete in on the day of the competition?  Are we trying to complete as many missions as we can in one 2.5 minute time period? We have a young team so we have set our goals to hopefully completing 3 to 4 missions successfully. I am just trying to get an idea of how long the tournament day will be because if we all just have 2.5 minutes it seems like it will go pretty quickly...I guess I am trying to visualize the competition day since I am a newbie!
  Thanks for any input!

  Michele Bossick

  --
  Michele Bossick

  The mission of Nansemond-Suffolk Academy is to provide an academically rigorous college preparatory education in an atmosphere fostering moral character, respect, responsibility and compassion. With a commitment to honor above all, the Academy seeks to develop and inspire leaders who value diversity, creativity, scholastic excellence and community service.

  The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.