The research project is usually done by the entire crew.
  It's my team rule that everyone try to talk in each judging area. We
rehearse which aspects the kids would like to discuss during the last 5
minute conversation, and I try to get each kid feeling comfortable talking
about the project- teamwork, project, or robot design.
Good luck,
Brandy