We use an alignment helper that does not follow either of these rules.  It just happens to be a semi-autonomous, out of base, non-Lego manufactured, occasionally rebellious, human child (Genus:  Homo; Species: Sapiens).  Not available in Lego Stores.

Nari

P.S.  Anyone thinking of a helmet mounted Class I or Class II laser that projects the alignment spot(s) directly on base?  (Stay still James, or I am enrolling you in Yoga for FLL Robotics for next year's competition!).  It is probably legal, as the ambient light does not have to be Lego-manufactured.  I wonder how long that rule will last, given that some Lego parts are now made in China, where LEGO does not have factories.
Anant S Narayanan
McLean Robotics Institute

McLean VA 22102
202-421-3826 (cell)