Depending on how serious your kids are taking the robot part of the competition you may want to:

1.) occasionally crease the mat back up to more closely simulate a new mat

2.) go run on somebody else's table where the mat and the model placement will be subtly different.  (the robot tends to wear the mat on the paths it takes to accomplish the missions, another team's robot will take slightly or completely different paths creating different wear patterns)

3.) shift the mat around on the table so that it is not "perfectly" placed

4.) shift your table slightly out of level in different directions

If your robot can cope with a bunch of different subtle variations and less than perfect conditions you will do much better when you go to the field at tournaments.

Jamie Diamond
coach: Cougar Robotics Team