The following is subject to change depending on the tournament director’s preferences AND site requirements (sometimes the rooms are so small that it really isn’t practical:

Coaches are welcome in the judging sessions, along with one videographer. Coaches need to be quiet during the judging, of course, and not try to guide the team.

FYI, many teams in the past have asked their coaches NOT to attend the judging, fearing that it makes it too easy for them to look to the coaches for guidance.

PLEASE NOTE: Parents are NOT allowed to attend the judging sessions. Space, noise, and time issues make this impractical. Yes, we know you would like to be there; when we had kids in FLL, so did we. But it Just Doesn’t Work.

Meanwhile, it’s early in the season for this, but I’ll take this opportunity to remind coaches that the time for the judging sessions includes setup, and that the kids are expected to do that setup themselves except where there’s a solid reason (heavy accessory, Ming vase, live cobra…). We’ve had teams somehow thinking they could take several minutes to set up and THEN the clock would start. If you look at the schedule (once you get it), you’ll see that there isn’t enough time—it’s a long enough day without making the judging sessions any longer!

--

Phil Smith III

Coach, The Capital Girls (retired)

Team 1900 (2002)