Hi Mary,

The rules don't preclude the robot touching the wall when starting at base, only that nothing goes over the wall.

Using the wall to align the robot is a very smart strategy.  It is fast and reasonably accurate.

I have a section on consistent mission starts in my robot fundamentals training module.  You can find it at http://www.masteringlegorobot.com/robot-fundamentals, starting on page 29.

Wally Walter
VA DC/FLL Coaches' Mentor