Marcel -

You may use any LEGO elements not prohibited by the rules (e.g., wind-up motors).  Rule #4 explicitly says you are allowed to cut LEGO string to length.  LEGO string can be purchased (in varying lengths) from BrickLink.  BrickLink is an incredible resource for finding any LEGO elements ever made.  If your kids say “If we only had a wheel shaped like this”, you can show them where to look for them.

Another option would be LEGO Education.  Their service is great but their shipping costs are $8 for orders up to $100 so BrickLink is usually much cheaper for small orders.

Stuart

From: Marcel Anderson
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2012 12:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VADCFLL-L] Purchasing Competition String

All,

Good morning, I hope all is well. My team would like to design a robot, but it requires the use of string. Are we able to use string in the competition? If so, where can we purchase competition string? I thank you all for any guidance you are able to offer.

--

Marcel Anderson
NOVA STEM Alliance, Coordinator

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself." Abraham Maslow