I think the real question might be "how do we build care values in parents of FLL team members?" ;)
  As an art teacher, we deal with this all the time-  How to show successes, lessons gained and value to what is a non-quantitative subject, and I feel your frustration.  You might handle this in two or three ways throughout the season. Start with an expectation parent form.  The expectation parent form can be a part of the form you have them sign when they join the team and is in included in all the important stuff like attendance requirements and financial contribution by adding ways in which what they can expect their child to grow during the season.  At the end, give them a list of what the goals are for the season- contributing to the research, discovering or adding to an innovate solution, learning to program, creating a mission solution, working with team members on challenges, helping another team member on a problem they are having... .etc. I would list about ten areas of growth.  This sets up the expectation that the POINT of the group is to grow intellectually and by adding skills specific to the group's purpose, not points at the tournament.  I have also answered the question,"how many points does that mean they got?" with, "I dunno, but I'm really proud of (so-so) improving (x skill). S/He's really grown in that area!"  When we come of the judging rooms, if I went in to them, I talk about how much each child contributed and what this means to work as a team. I never mention or stress points to uninvolved parents.
      A second way to show growth is through photos. Get one of the parents or students to keep a team log/online blog site.  Have team photographer and upload images from each meeting. You can do this at the end of the meeting as a part of the end meeting routine, or you can take the sims card home and do it yourself.  Seeing the kids having fun, videos of their missions working out and their obvious pride and success in that mission is usually enough to keep parents from asking what they got for their money.   (This is especially important in art. We have lots of on-line art galleries to help highlight the success and growth of an artist from the beginning to the end of the year.  And so that I can explain what skill we were developing.)  If security is an issue for one of the kids, don't include them in photos, use a lego head to block just their face, or create an unsearchable blog. (Trust me, most blogs are pretty unsearchable unless they have thousands of hits or followers.)
     We also have an end of the season round-up. We do this as a potluck and gather for fun. We watched the videos taken at the tournament or sometimes we watch the videos we posted on our blog.   I give them appreciative inquiry questions- What was your favorite part of FLL? What was your favorite part of being on a team? How do you feel better prepared for (next year/other challenges) by having gone through this season?  And my favorite question- what would be your elevator speech- your 30 second response to a person asking you, "What is FLL?"  For at least for one parent, this was the moment- after the team was totally done- that she realized how much her child loved the group and what he felt he got out of it.
 Regards,
Brandy