The Weather Channel has been running an interesting show for a few weeks now (Thursdays at 8pm) called Hacking the Planet.  Each episode tackles a different topic (hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, storms) and asks if there's anything we can do to control them. Seems like it ties in pretty well with the FLL challenge theme for this year, "Nature's Fury". If nothing else, I expect it will get the kids thinking about what's out there and provide some leads for going into depth on an idea.  Besides new episodes each Thursday, the old episodes are broken up in parts online at http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/hacking-the-planet/video/

-Jeff