I've been having a side conversation on this topics with some other senior referees--it's very interesting.

As others have said, to Paul's original question--yes, teams may build a basket or other carrying device and use it.

As Brian noted, a "basket attachment" attached to the robot (Rules 10 & 11) is part of the robot and is not a strategic object.

Here's my thinking--
Cargo items (Rule 13) are anything that the robot has with it for transport or release.
A non-attached basket is not part of the robot, and would be cargo while the robot is transporting it.

Strategic Objects (Rule 12) are objects supplied by the team, but are not part of the robot.
It's clear to me that a non-attached basket is a strategic object--it's supplied by the team, and isn't part of the robot.

My opinion at this time is that the Junk Penalty applies to all strategic objects outside Base, including objects that are Cargo.

It's one of the strategic choices that teams get to make--is it worthwhile to take the penalty in order to get the benefit of using a strategic object, or is there some other way to accomplish team goals without using it.

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor