This came through earlier this month...

According to the Mission Model element overview, the part number for the string is 4297719, which the Bricklink catalog identifies as "String, Cord Thin"

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=4297719

I'm not familiar enough with types of string to speculate on how well they would serve as replacements.  For best comparison to the zip line that your team will encounter at a tournament, I would recommend using LEGO string.

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor