I was a judge at a tournament with special needs kids, and we were briefed about it ahead of time by the tournament director. I was a project judge, and all the coaches for the special needs kids reminded us who they were before their presentations. It worked out fine.

Haydee mentioned having special awards for those kids or teams. The Judges' Award could be used for that I think. I suppose it would be up to your tournament director or head judge.

teri :)

From: First Lego League in Virginia and DC [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Denyse Carroll [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [External]  Re: [VADCFLL-L] How to help team and student with learning disability at tournament

I would suggest that you also advise the tournament director. Not to do anything but to share this with judges that may have your team in their judging rooms.

As a tournament director, we have sever ADHD or autism students brought to my attention in the past. I share with the head judge who shares with the judges for the rooms that the team will be in. It just helps to ensure added patience and awareness to all of the super nice judges that are already excited to meet your teams.

Denyse

Regional STEM CTE Education Coordinator
703.791.7521
>>> Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]> 10/23/2013 1:23 PM >>>
Well said. As a head judge, I'd be upset to think that one of my judges
didn't take this into account. OTOH, if they don't know about it, they could
just think he's not participating. So making it clear through the team would
be great (obviously keeping in mind how sensitive he might be about his
disability).

--

Phil Smith III

Coach, The Capital Girls (retired)