Hi Anna,
It's hard to know what might be your problem, not being there to see what you are trying to do.  However, I have been so impressed with the LEGO Education technical support people over the years.  They are amazing and so helpful, and I always get a real live person right away, every time I call.  They have talked me through different things, and have always fixed the problem, even if it meant sending me a new part.  I would not hesitate to call them!

1-866-349-5346

Hope you figure out the problem!
best,
Sonya Shaver