Cathleen's questions for the Lego Lions are good--it is part of the team's strategy to determine what order they want to try to do things in.  The robot may leave different objects on the field and have to deal with having them there later.

As Brian notes, Update 13 tells us that if there's nothing in the way when the plane is released, and the plane stops short of the Light Blue region then the referee will move the plane all the way into the Light Blue region.  The plane should be moved pretty much as far as it can go up to hitting the wall or enough stuff to stop the plane from moving forward.

Update 13 does not allow the referee to make the plane "jump over" stuff that is in its way, so if there are big items like the Truck or Ambulance in the way, a plane that is released and doesn't touch anything else can only be advanced up to the point where it makes contact with "a lot of stuff".  At that moment, the plane might be in Yellow, in Light Blue, or in neither, which is okay.  The robot is allowed to make additional changes as the match progresses, and it is the position of the mission models at the end of the match that matters for scoring.

As noted, at the end of the match, if the plane is touching the runway, then it does not make the Runway mission fail.
If the Ambulance or Truck are in Yellow and touching the runway, then they do not make the Runway mission fail (ditto for the supplies, people, etc.)

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor