Skip...We had a new team last year and at that point I have never coached a team or been involved with First or the FLL at all.  However, the first year had a lot of learning going on. :)  This would be my advice for what it's worth.  I would NOT take more than 10 kids and then choose some to go to the tournament and some to be left to cheer in the stands.  No No No!  That is just setting you up for a gigantic headache and a lot of hurt feelings!  And I'm not sure that's a good message to send about teamwork.  If the parents of those kids want a team, they can put their time into it, just like you are.  There's only so much you can give and for the sake of your sanity and your team's sanity, I would steer far away from that!

I will tell you the qualities that really made our team work well and a lot of fun.  But if you have to have try-outs and there's no other way around choosing some and not others (because I definitely ditto the starting two teams!!!) than some of the things that I would look for:

*Interest in being a part of a team, and an understanding of what that means for your team.  Do they show up on time?  Have they come prepared for other things on the past? Do they talk respectfully to others?  Are they able to take advice from others?  Do they need to be the center of attention or are they good at pulling other team members in and making them feel important? Do they really want to be on the team vs. being there because their friends are (they're all there because they're friends are, but it should be more than that)? Are they willing to share the not-so fun work, and not only the fun stuff? Etc.

*The FLL is not all about robotics, but being interested in robotics would be a given.  If they are not, there are always roles they can take on that doesn't to do with the robotics piece of it but I don't think that would be the ideal situation.  If there are kids who have experience with the robot or programming, I think that would be a plus, but not a necessity. They do all learn it pretty quickly.

*Level of self-motivation.  This will vary with the age of your kids, but personally, I found this to be a big plus.  Definitely kids who want to be there and are self-motivated are much easier than those you have try to refocus a million times in a meeting.  Last year our kids were very young and I could really see why they set the age level at 9 yrs.

*Kids that you think will work well together.  You definitely don't want a team that never disagrees or has any difficulties throughout the whole season, as there's definitely not as much learning in that.  But basically have a team that gets along and mostly likes each other is a lot easier.  Maybe trying to balance the more out-going kids with more introverted kids might be something to look for.  There is a lot of learning that can come from that though.  The more out-going kids learn to slow down and listen, and the shyer kids have to learn to jump in where it's not so comfortable...but having 9 out-going kids and 1 introvert can be a challenge.  It's just something you would probably need to be aware of.  It was a dynamic in our team last year.  Those that were more out-going and loved to put their ideas out there, naturally had more of their ideas chosen, while two quiet boys felt like they had less say in things.  Sometimes when they were trying to reach a consensus, the quieter boys began not participating as a way to regain a little power in the group...which meant the whole group couldn't reach a consensus.  This frustrated them all and it took a long while to work through.

Personally, if I had a choice I would rather take a kid that was self-motivated and super interested in being part of a team, over experience with the robot.  But I would look for both.

Amy