I very much agree with Randall's point that for rookie teams, start with a good reference design.  This allows them to jump into the programming and solving the missions and not getting tied up iterating on the basic robot design.  I believe that they will ultimately learn much more and get a much greater sense of accomplishment.  On my web site www.masteringlegorobot.com, I've put brick-by-brick instructions for building the Sea Monster robot, which consistently placed at the VA/DC FLL Championship over six seasons.  I was motivated to document the design after watching a number of rookie teams really struggle in the regional competitions, where some robots couldn't even complete a single mission.

Wally Walter
Former Sea Monsters coach