Yes, note rule update 30: it has to touch the inside (area) of the circle.

If you want to have a basket, I think you need to make the basket (or
rather, whatever the robot needs to lift the model) part of the
Apprenticeship model.

While the Apprenticeship model isn't subject to a junk penalty (rule update
7), a basket used for carrying the model is a strategic object (rule 14),
and as such, subject to a junk penalty (rule 32) if left outside base when
the match ends.