A small correction.  The topic for the following year is released in November, not the following May.

As Brandy said, the summer is a great time to get ahead on the research.  When the official rules come out in the last week of August, some fine-tuning will be necessary, but as long as the research was done in adequate depth, this should not ordinarily require a restart.

Our teams usually continue on the past season game in the winter term, Dec-Mar. (to see how they could have done better) and continue learning new skills in the spring term, Apr-Jun (to create new capabilities for the following season).

The off-season work is also a great time to preview potential new team-members, as good team chemistry is vital to competitive success, perhaps even more important that team (knowledge of) physics!

Good luck.

Nari Narayanan

Anant S Narayanan
Founder & Executive Director